Friday, April 8, 2011

The Kings Speech - 82

2010 Winner, Colin Firth (Won Best Actor), Geoffrey Rush(Nominated), Helena Bonham Carter(Nominated).

The most recent Oscar winner that one of my friends deemed an "old people's movie".  Which I found rather amusing since it was one of my favorite movies of the year, which then in turn made me feel old.  Terrific movies don't have to have explosions, suspense and sex appeal, and though the majority of the movies this season had all of these characteristics "The Kings Speech" ventured away from the blockbuster norm and set an awe-inspiring scene on screen.

If you have seen the movie I would like to point out that Helena Bonham Carter was filming "The Kings Speech" on weekdays and then completely switching roles and filming Harry Potter on weekends.  Roles that are such complete opposites that I'm surprised she didn't develop multiple personality disorder by the end of it, and she executed it so perfectly.  Helena is not normally known for being mild mannered or demure, which is why I was shocked to hear she would be playing Queen Elizabeth.  Then I saw the movie in a theater that seats about 50 people on vacation in Sarasota, FL.  The theater plays host to a ton of film festivals and is the cutest postage stamp of a place you'll ever watch a movie.  It's obvious Colin Firth blew me away in his performance (more on that later), but it was Helena that I was most surprised with.  Sure she had a small role and many people were confused as to why she was nominated for Best Supporting Actress, but to me it was the way she delivered her lines.  I know that sounds a little strange but she did it so effortlessly, like she had to portray the Queen Mum on a regular basis, and as a Brit it had to be terrifying to do her justice.  Her lines were just so matter-of-fact and as a viewer I felt that the character in the movie meant the lines she was saying, not just saying what was scripted. It was a side to Helena Bonham Carter I have rarely seen.

Colin Firth.  I mean. Colin Firth. Just, wow.  I can only imagine how frustrating it had to be for him to speak with a stutter throughout the entire filming process.  I read somewhere, or saw an interview that he would get pretty intense headaches on long days of stuttering.  As i described with Helena Bonham Carter, Colin firth made the viewer feel what he was going through.  There were times I wanted to shout at the screen, grab him and shake him "it's going to be OK! Just say what you're thinking!"  Other times where my heart swelled with sympathy for what he was going through.  The movie as a whole was such a great story of courage, determination and camaraderie.  It wasn't about "getting the girl" or "fighting for a cause", it was the story of not just a King, but a man struggling with a disability and how he was able to work through it and because one of the stronger figures during WWII.  All with the assistance of.....

...Geoffrey Rush.  Once again, another phenomenal actor portrayer their character.  I immediately fell in love with Geoffrey Rush's character, Lionel Logue.  He was likable, witty and, well it's Geoffrey Rush... Some of the scenes between Lionel and the King were absolutely hilarious.  Something I didn't really expect from this movie, and it kept my interest and develop a stronger connection to the characters.

By the end of the film I wanted to cheer for King George, I wanted to applaud his final speech and I wanted to high five Lionel Logue.  That is the type of movie that should win Oscars (for all you doubters out there).  As a viewer I wanted Bertie (family nickname of King George, for Albert) to succeed, to prove his family and the world wrong.  All in all, a fabulous portrayal of King George's unusual rise to the throne during troubling times and defying all adversity.

It takes leadership to confront a nation's fear. It takes friendship to conquer your own.


Until next time, thank you Academy #82


3 comments:

  1. Despite not having seen this film yet, this is one that I'm anxious to see (anxious, being a multi-purpose word). There was a scene that was replayed on NPR during an interview between Colin Firth and Terri Gross of 'Fresh Air'. It was a scene where Logue essentially thumbs his nose at centuries of English royalty by taking the Royal seat in an effort to rouse King Henry after several painful minutes of stuttering self-doubt. Through this act, Logue is able to enrage Firth's Henry to the point where his disability completely flees his mind for a few brief seconds, dashing all of Henry's internal roadblocks and contradictions, ending with a crystal clear: "I HAVE A VOICE!"..."Yes, you do." Via audio alone, the power of that scene was palpable. I can't wait to see this on DVD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Er, King George, my bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phil I really do feel that you will love it. The scenes are so full with emotion it's hard to NOT feel what they're going through. I think I liked the movie more than the average person, but one of the biggest critiques I look at/for is character development and acting. This was super in both.

    Let me know when you rent/watch it I would love to see it again!

    ReplyDelete