Here are a few movies I am excited to see this upcoming holiday season. Put a few of these on your short list if you're into artistic dramas.
In no particular order;
- My Week With Marilyn
Michelle Williams and Julia Ormond in this film has peaked my interest enough, let alone the fact that it would be a small glimpse into the life of Marilyn Monroe. Albeit "silver screened". Michelle Williams also seems to be gaining more and more recognition for her acting powress. i didn't get to see Blue Valentine last year which got her an Oscar nod, so hopefully I won't miss this one.
- Colin Clark met Marilyn Monroe while working as a young assistant on Laurence Olivier's "The Prince and the Showgirl." When Marilyn experienced emotional difficulties during shooting, the 23-year-old third assistant director came to her aid and romance developed. But one week of honesty and fun was not enough to save the doomed star from self-destruction.
- A Dangerous Method
Viggo Mortensen, Keira Knightley and Michael Fassbender (plays Magneto in X-Men: First Class) is enough of a reason for me to want to see this movie. But a movie about two of the most famous psychologists of all time?! Yes please!
- Early in his career, psychiatrist Carl Jung takes on the challenge of a seemingly impossible case, a deeply disturbed, beautiful young woman named Sabina Spielrein. Jung employs his mentor Sigmund Freud's experimental "talking cure" in treating Sabina and the treatment proves to be successful. This results in Freud and Jung becoming colleagues rather than master and student, but before long, both men are involved with their patient, complicating their relationship.
- The Artist
Seems that it may be a foreign film? I'm not exactly sure, but I am very intrigued and curious with this film. What kind of cinematography are they going to use? Will some of it be filmed in black and white? Will they stay true to 1920's styling? Very curious...
- Hollywood, 1927: As silent movie star George Valentin wonders if the arrival of talking pictures will cause him to fade into oblivion, he sparks with Peppy Miller, a young dancer set for a big break.
- Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
COLIN FIRTH!!!! (yes, that is my main reason)
- In the bleak days of the Cold War, espionage veteran George Smiley is forced from semi-retirement to uncover a Soviet agent within MI6's echelons.
That is all for now! Keep these in mind when choosing films. I really would love to see J. Edgar, but apparently it didn't get very good reviews... more on that later.
Until next time, happy movie viewing!